Monday, February 19, 2007

Juvies

I was watching the show Juvies last night on MTV and got to tell you I was little shocked. I mean I know that there are kids out there that are lost and need help, but some of the little shitheads need more than a juvenile detention could give them.

There was this one kid, 16 years old, who was high as a kite and he turned in front of another lady and she hit the back of his SUV. When he came in for processing they allowed him to speak with his mother on speaker phone. The mother, as many would have done, started immediately crying and asking him what he was doing to himself. The kid started to laugh and said that he was done with the phone call. No response, no remorse, no I am sorry mom. I was shocked.

I know that each circumstance is different and I understand that there is sometimes angst between parents and children, but I don't understand a kid laughing at his heart broken mother.

They then take the little snotrag to his cell and he proceeded to tell the camera crew that what really sucks about this situation is that it is a Friday night and he would much rather be at a party. And that it really really sucked that he didn't have any weed or cigarettes.

Um okay….that is the worst. Forget the fact that you could have killed someone while you were out screwing around. Forget the fact that you could have killed the other kids in the car. Forget the fact that your mother is at home crying because she can't figure out where she went wrong. Yeah forget all that……..

Fast forward hours later.

They show the kid in his cell, in nothing but his drawers, punching the hell out of his door. In his got damn drawers. WTF! He hits it so many times that he no doubt broke the hell out his hand. When his hand was no longer functional, he started to kick the door. They had to send in a big ass MF to come in and lock his butt down.

Fast forward to visitation.

Mom shows up and does the....everyone loves you and cares for you and you are not a bad kid bullshit. She tells him that he is going to be grounded when he gets out. He gets up, throws a tantrum, and says this place was making him crazy and that it wasn't his fault. It was his friends fault, even though he was driving. He said he shouldn't be there, it was his life and he can do what he wants.

Fast forward to meal time.

He tells his friends that his mother is the one that is messed up. That she should spend a night where he is and that he will talk her out of his grounding as soon as he gets home.

It is Juvie for crying out loud. Not jail or prison or any place where he has to worry about getting butt raped or the snot knocked out of him. Throw his ass in prison, let him run around hitting shit in his drawers. See if Bubba don't find his ass.

I couldn't help but shake my head at the blatant ignorance of this kid. I would never in a million years have ever behaved that way. Don't get me wrong, I have done my share of ignorant childish things and have been arrested before, but I learned my lesson. I didn't use the wake up call I was given, to further harm myself and the others around me.

I tell you what, if that was my kid……I would have called there asses up and told them to pull their damn belts off their pants and give him an ass whooping he would never forget. Give him something to fear….give him a reminder that he is a kid and his outrageous behaviors will not be tolerated.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not big on spanking. I just think that there are certain times when a child does need a spanking and talking is just not good enough. I got my ass whooped on many occasions and sometimes I didn't think I deserved it, but in reality I did. I am proof that a good old ass whooping leaves an impression. I learned that I was not in control, that my parents were and when I messed up big time, I was going to have to suffer the consequences of my actions. I learned that every negative action has a punishment. I learned right from wrong. My kids have been spanked a time or two and now that if need be, they would get one today. I have no problems with them, outside of petty crap, and they are good kids.

I don't know where I was going with this. I guess it makes me scared of what our society is coming to where my kids are concerned. I guess I am worried that those types of punks are going to be out there, on the road, in my child's school, in my neighborhood, in my life and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. It bothers me that there are so many kids out there that are lost, whether it be by fault of their parents or not and there is nothing the rest of us can physically do about it. It is just too big of a task to take on and beat.

Maybe we need to start a group called "I am gonna whoop your child's ass if you don't".

You think it will fly?? No??

How bout we start with these two…….

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kidding…I just thought those two were was funny as hell. No doubt there mama already got them. lol

2 comments:

HRG (Bama G) said...

HAH! Just as funny here as it was there

Raven Calister said...

You know I understand what you're saying. You raise your kids to be respectable, upstanding citizens and here are these hooligans running around picking fights with your honor students and trying to push them drugs for a dime. It also seems like you've heard the "where were the parents at" argument and aren't buying it. I am of the school of thought that sometimes people need to get their asses kicked to know where they stand, and maybe some kids do need a swift kick in the ass to set them straight.

And some kids need to get shot before they really realize, and some people will never see, that's just how it goes. But do you want to know what I really think the deal is with the kids mom (not that I know for sure because I don't know the situation). She probably worked very hard in full time jobs to give him everything he needed, buy him clothes, feed him, give him money to go hang out with friends, but I'll bet she or his father probably never spent a day with him since he turned 12. You didn't indicate anything in your post that said his father was even there at all, but something tells me that he wasn't. And his mom probably tried very hard and was a good mother who did everything right, but where she "went wrong" was just not being able to get her influence acrossed to teach him morals.

I have a little brother who just turned 13. We live in an okay neighborhood but the area's around it are gang-territory, and he can ride his bike literally 3 minutes and he'll be acrossed the railroad tracks. My dad is always working, and my mom is going through law school, so even though our parents are good people, they're never there for us the way we need them. So I hang out with my little brother as much as I can. I know all his friends, I know his friends' families, I take them to movies, play videogames with my brother, and I even talk to his teachers. I'm the one that gave him the talk on everything from drugs to dating, and at least I think he listened because he hasn't gotten in too much trouble yet. But there was a time when he kept coming back really late at night and my Dad sent the police to pick him up, and he hasn't come home late ever since. I really believe it's all about influence, as a parent or mentor you have to be stronger than the influences around the kid, and the mom of the kid in juvi that you were talking about was probably a good mom and a good person, but she might have just not been strong enough, and now for the entire point of my very long comment which I really do believe....that IS NOT the kids fault, no matter how bad he is.